Thursday, January 18, 2007

It's That Time Of Year


You see... In Cub Scouts / Boy Scouts... We have the Holy Grail of early adolescent adrenaline and sport and skill. It's a little New Yankee Workshop, a little Futuristic Concept Design, and a lot of hooping and hollering. Basically teaches young boys about what to expect when they get older. Competition, craft, sharp tools, and other impliments of destruction just to create something that can't weigh over 5 oz.

That right... The Pinewood Derby. Yes, this is where fathers often help out WAY TOO MUCH!! I can only imagine what it's gonna be like out here in North Carolina. I am actually looking forward to see how many Earnhardt replica cars there are. Maybe a few Tony Stewarts, Kyle Busch, and of course, just how many fathers decide to paint their son's car in Budweiser colors and put a number 8 on it in recognition of Dale Jr. Yes, racing and North Carolina go together like stink on... well, let's just say that it's pretty popular out here.

Hayden and I have taken a different approach. He tells me what he wants it to look like, I try to draw it (this took about 24 attempts and 2 pencils) and I have been slowly carving it. He tried to carve and about lost a thumb. I guess we just wait till he's a bit older. But no decisions are made without his approval. This is his project. I'm about to go to the Hobby Shop and use the power tools there. But, overall, it's fun. I'm having a great time. So is Hayden, and that's really all that matters.

No comments: