Thursday, January 18, 2007

...Less Traveled

This may be the more introverted side of me. I love to read. I think I get it from my Mom, and my Nana. Both avid readers. I also love to write. You will soon learn this. I believe that I, too, get this from my Mom. One of the larger problems I feel that I am going to have blogging, is keeping it short and readable. If given enough time and space, I could just go off about anything and everything.

There's a famous story of me waiting to pick up my brother, Greg, from the airport at PDX. He was coming in from Alaska, having spent the summer there with his friend, Eric and his Dad. Greg ended up voluntarily bumping himself to another flight that left later. Think he told anyone? NOPE. So, his original flight was supposed to come in EARLY. Well, I got to the airport early (Midnight, and just decided that I would do some reading and sleep a bit and wait at the Airport rather than gettin up at 2 am, to get ready to drive over an hour to get there to pick him up. Anyway, 8 hours later he shows up. I was a bit steamed, but happy to see him. I got over it. We got home, and I was telling everyone this story about what had happened, and Greg says in perfect timing, "Shit Mark, this story is taking longer than the damn flight, itself!!" Hilarious. We all laughed for a long time. To this day, we all laugh when we bring it up. Basically, I can talk. Again... a sickness that I am almost sure that I got from my Mom. That being said... here's one more.

Robert Frost... 9 years old, Powell Valley Elementary School. There was a "Teacher" side to the library. In this section were books that seemed to be much more advanced reading. Mr. Hansen was a great teacher. He let us, once a month go to the teacher section to pick out a book. I picked up this rather cumbersome book that ended up being poems by Robert Frost. He showed me a famous poem by Robert Frost. He read it, then I read it. He explained it to me the best that he could, and all I could remember was the last two lines "... I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference." Sometimes I think it could have been a metaphor for my life at times. Especially growing up and making some of the decisions that I did.

Some just know me as Heather's husband, and that's fine, too. But, believe it or not, I do actually have parents, a brother, an entire family in Oregon, whom I am very close to. I miss Oregon, and suppose that once Heather is retired out of the Marines, that we will more than likely be living there. I'm excited cause it sounds like they will be coming out to NC to see us. We are overdue for some great family time. May and June should be interesting.

No comments: